WILDFIRE EVACUATION CHECKLIST
Attire and Equipment
- Wear only cotton or wool clothes.
- Wear long pants, long-sleeved shirt or jacket and boots.
- Carry gloves, a handkerchief to cover your face, water to drink, and goggles.
- Keep a flashlight and portable radio with you at all times.
- Tune in to a local radio station and listen for instructions.
- Evacuate all family members.
- Make sure to designate a safe meeting place and contact person.
- Relay your plans to the contact person.
- Evacuate pets.
- Place vehicles in the garage, pointing out with keys in the ignition.
- Roll up the windows.
- Close the garage door, but leave it unlocked.
- Disconnect the electric garage door opener so that the door can be opened manually.
Inside the House
- Close all interior doors.
- Leave a light on in each room.
- Close fire-resistant drapes, shutters, and venetian blinds.
- Turn off all pilot lights.
- Move overstuffed furniture, such as couches and easy chairs, to the center of the room.
Outside the House
- Place combustible patio furniture in the house or garage.
- Shut off propane at the tank or natural gas at the meter.
- Close all exterior vents if possible.
- Prop a non-combustible ladder against the house to provide firefighters with easy access to the roof.
- Make sure that all garden hoses are connected to faucets and attach nozzles set on “spray”.
- Close all exterior doors and windows.
- Remove firewood and grills or any stored combustibles near your home.
- Turn on outside lights and tie a white towel or sheet on your front door; this advises emergency responders that your home has been evacuated.
- If you have an emergency water source (pool, pond, etc. ) and/or portable pump, clearly mark its availability so it can be seen from the street.
Essentials (to place in car)
- Important documents (bank, IRS, trust, investment, insurance policy, birth certificates, medical records)
- Credit and ATM cards
- Prescription glasses
- Driver’s license
- Computer backup files
- Inventory of home contents
- Photograph the exterior of the house and landscape if there’s time.
- Address book.
- Cell phone and charger
- Personal toiletries
- Change of clothing (for three days), sleeping bag or blanket
- Family photo albums and videos
- Family heirlooms